Thursday, August 7, 2008

Stretching the grey matter...

Last week I was lucky enough to attend the National Breast Cancer Coalition's Project LEAD. It is a very intensive learning experience, to say the least. It started on a Tuesday and ended Sunday at Noon. We had one evening off-the rest we worked until 9ish and it was INCREDIBLE. Normally this would wear me down but I was completely invigorated and proud of having learned so much.
Why is Project LEAD® important for Breast Cancer Activists?
Breast cancer advocates should play an integral role in all breast cancer decision making because they bring a unique and critical perspective to the research, scientific and policy review processes. Therefore, to be successful and effective in these areas, advocates have a responsibility to be prepared with the basic knowledge and background to critically appraise research proposals and policy initiatives. Others in the advocacy community look to Project LEAD® graduates to disseminate timely and accurate information, critically scientific research and evaluate research proposals.

We learned
Basic science, such as the biology of cancer, basic genetics, the roles of DNA, RNA and proteins and development of cancer at the molecular level;
Basic epidemiology such as biostatistics, descriptive studies, analytic studies, clinical trials, causality, meta-analysis and screening; and
Leadership and advocacy development skills and how to participate in the scientific community as a breast cancer advocate.

Today we had a meeting in Denver to collaborate with 3 other organizations to expand the Breast and Cervical Treatment Program. I am adamant that women under 40 who are displaying symptoms be included.

We shall see.

On a lighter note, I am definitely moving back to Aspen and am happy about it. I was on the fence as my Father has dementia and I hate to leave the burden on my remaining Denver family but I was encouraged to go. Plus there was a blurb in the Aspen Times Weekly saying I was moving back for the FOURTH time. I would be embarrassed NOT to. I am looking forward to my 877th move of my life. Yeehaw.

1 comment:

newestYorker said...

Thanks Katy. I absolutely believe in very woman's right to make her own decision regarding her health and her body. But I also firmly believe in evidence based medicine and treatment. Her diagnosis is not included in the video but I assume it must be DCIS. A second primary so soon after the first would def. make me consider treatment. Again, each woman must choose her own path.
In the descriptive portion of the video it was stated "The path Meg has chosen for treatment is not for everyone; in fact, she's doing something no one has done before."
I am not sure what that is referring to. There are numerous women who decide against treatment. And I know of several who have gotten flower tattoos instead of nipples. In fact, I know of some who have foregone the implants, gotten fun tattoos and run in BC races topless!